3.29.2013

Voice Lessons

I feel like I'm going through a nice phase of self development. I'm looking for ways to become more. One way I'm trying to do this is by developing my singing voice. I'm not a TERRIBLE singer, but I'm not far off. There's a joke in my family (not sure if it's true or not), that my Grandpa asked that none of his descendants sing at his funeral. So, as you can see, I'm not alone. Most in my family are not gifted in music. Perhaps that's one reason why I was attracted to Scott. In my sub-conscience I wanted to improve my gene pool. :) You're welcome, kids.

Okay, enough about them. Let's talk about me. I mentioned to my friend, Jen, that I was interested in taking voice lessons from her. I wasn't sure how much they would cost, but was pretty sure on a grad student income, we might only be able to afford a few lessons. As it turned out, I would be able to afford less than I thought. Jen has her masters in music performance and has trained with some pretty incredible people. She's done some different Broadway shows and is a part of a professional organization, even. Her time is worth much more than I could have guessed.

I determined that I would probably just have to wait till after grad school to look for voice development. Then one day Jen sent out an email inviting six people in our ward to be a part of a six week voice boot camp. She would do it for free, but we would each have to pitch in money to pay for an accompanist and music. We meet at our house, and Scott is our accompanist. It has worked out great!

I'm getting a chance to learn more about singing. I'm learning that I have to let go of looking "cool" to do that. Not that I've ever been too cool anyway. :) I'm learning about breathing, singing from a certain region in my head (if that doesn't make sense to you, I'm just figuring it out), and how to be more confident in my voice.

It has been awesome. I've loved every minute of it! While I know I'm not meant to become a vocal performer, I do find joy in developing some new talents.

Thanks, Jen! You're the best!

4 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

So cool! I am glad you posted about this. So...YOUR paying Scott to accompany you? haha You should be able to get THAT for free. You have an in with him I think:) Fun, fun!

Ashlee said...

What fun!!! I love finding new ways to grow and it is always so much better with friends :)

Allison said...

That's awesome! And fun to do it with other girls int he ward. You are a true "Renaissance Woman" Sadie! :)

Jill said...

you always inspire me Sadie...always trying to learn new things. I remember the days when we would sing in our apartment and you would practice your vibrato...good times.