5.11.2009

Education

I've had this inner battle. I want to get my master's degree. I'm not sure what in, but I know I want to get it. There are a few reasons why.

1. I feel that having graduate level education will influence my kids to seek high learning.

2. I want to create a career option for myself in case anything were to happen to Scott that would put me in a position to provide well, without working crazy hours or moving far away from my family.

One program I've been thinking about is physical therapy. I love the medical field, I love working with people, and I love normal schedules.

Here's where the inner battle begins. When? Do I go for it as soon as possible and get prepared now? Do I sacrifice time with my children to do it? Do I put it off until I'm done having children, and perhaps jeopardize the time now to prepare? Do I do it now while my brain is still somewhat functioning? When?

Any advice on the matter?

7 comments:

Erin said...

I can't say anything about concern number two, but I think that the best way to influence children to search for learning is to always be learning something yourself. I don't think that you have to go to a school to continue your learning. Just read. It's difficult when the kids are young, but if they see you reading and searching for knowledge it will influence them to do the same. I decided that I don't know enough about American History so I've been reading about history and memorizing dates etc. at night after Celia is sleeping or whenever I can do it. I don't always get my hour a day, but I'm trying. Good luck! I hope you can find the answer to this question.

Dallas and Shelby Scoffield said...

Hey Sades- I too have a deep desire to get a master's degree. But just the thought of not spending this precious time with my kids when they are little makes me hurt. So I've personally decided that I try to cram everything into my life RIGHT NOW. The time will come in my life when I have more time- when all my kids are in school for example and then I can go after it. I agree with Erin though about continually learning- even just something to use in your everyday life- like I had no idea how to garden before this year- checked out like 8 books and read through them- know I have an idea. And the kids see me do that- it's still a good example until life allows me to accomplish my other goals.

Dallas and Shelby Scoffield said...

However, my brain is quickly slipping away too- I just noticed in the comment above that I typed 'know' instead of 'now'. Probably just typing too fast, but that never would have happened before kids. I know it will be harder to get back into the learning mode after a few years, but maybe it will help my crappy grammar and other things that have slipped.

Ana Lee said...

No idea, but I'm proud of you for being that ambitious.

Unknown said...

DO IT. If your getting the urge to get your Masters, you'll get the idea as to when the timing will be perfect and it will all work out.
That's really exciting! I plan on getting my Masters as well for LITERALLY the exact same reason (#1) and that I just love love love what I am majoring in anyway. Good luck chica!

Olinselot said...

I still need to finish my 4 year degree, and I've gone back and tried to finish after having kids, and it's not worth it...for me anyway. I would just pray about it and take into consideration the effects it would have on your children. This is precious time, and I only say that because it's slipping away from me. All my kids will be in school full time in 5 years, so that will open the time up for me to do what I want without effecting them. As far as concern #2 goes, I've had that concern for a lot time, especially lately because of Carl's health issues, but I've decided to cross that bridge when it comes. Pray about it, you'll know what to do.

Anonymous said...

okay, so I have the same battle. I want to either go to dental hygiene school or get my masters in epidemiology. i know for us it's not an option right now...but sometime in the future. there was a really good ensign article in the april or march issue about this very topic. you should read it. what it really comes down to is what the lord wants for you.