8.31.2008

Temper Tantrum

I didn't really know that when my son turned two we would start experiencing temper tantrums... or rather, that I would be the one mood swings. I always assumed that he would be the one doing all of the screaming and kicking while lying on the floor of a supermarket while onlookers judged my bad parenting skills.

What I have realized is that I have had a few of my own temper tantrums. I don't kick and scream so much as I get frustrated. Frustrated that I am not nearly as good of a parent as I thought I would be before I had kids. Frustrated that I can't keep both boys completely happy all the time. Frustrated that sometimes I want to sleep instead of take care of my boys.

And then the next day comes and my little boys are happy, and they are doing everything right, and I realize that this parenting stuff isn't quite as hard as I thought it was the day before. In fact, I think it can be pretty easy. In fact, I can't imagine my life without them here showing me their beautiful personalities.

It all comes down to this... some days are hard and some days are easy. With parenting comes some of the toughest days I have known, but also some of the greatest joys I have experienced.

4 comments:

Christine said...

AMEN. You've hit it right on the dot Sadie (even though I only have one so far). It's so true. Reminds me of the mission--somedays it's the best thing in your life, other days you just wish your 18 months was over! haha

Motherhood is THE best!! :)

Erin said...

Good thoughts. I feel the same way sometimes. Today happened to be one of the hard days where I was wondering if I was screwing up my kid and if life was ever going to get better. Everything will probably be fine tomorrow.

Jeff & Johanna said...

Joined the club finally? Just wait until he is three and more independent, and strong.
This sounds like a fortune cookie: Your reflexes will soon develop at a lightening fast speed to dodge thrashing limbs or thrown objects. Just be glad you aren't pregnant anymore and can move and run quickly too. Your lucky numbers: 4, 7, 10, 19, 21, 43

Audge said...

SADIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Okay that was a lot of exclamation points! But I am soooo excited to find your blog!
This is Audrey (from WRA!)

Mine and Kaniala's blog is otakefamily.blogspot.com

Anyhow, I see you have another wee-one! Congrats! He is beautiful!

What else have you been up to girl???

We really missed you guys when you left! Its so cool to see your blog!

Stay in touch!

Audrey

(Can I link your blog on mine?)