3.19.2009

Minivans

Confession: Sometimes I think about getting a minivan.



For as long as I have imagined being a soccer mom, having a minivan has never been a part of the dream. I've always seen myself with a cool Jeep or SUV that makes me look cool. Because, cool mom's drive cool cars... right?



So here is my most recent thought on the idea, and this could all change, but here it is anyway.



As far as I can tell, minivans are more comfortable, minivans have more room, minivans have more ease of loading and unloading, minivans get better gas mileage... you get the picture. So why, can't minivans be cool? It seems like the uncool thing to do would be to get a car that is way over priced and lacks all of the basics that minivans offer.



So, tell me what you think. Are minivans cool or uncool? Or rather, will you still continue to be my friend if I buy a minivan?

21 comments:

Scott said...

I don't know why its all spaced funny. Sorry, I just don't have it in me to go back and try to fix it. Hope you can stand to read it. :)

Daija said...

Definitely cool. I am a big fan for all the reasons you listed. I married into an anti-minivan family, but I think I finally have Jonathan convinced. :)

Olinselot said...

good question! I still love a sweet SUV and I envy those who have them, but vans do make more sense for sure.

Kristi said...

Sadie, I have to make a confession... I have always wanted to own a mini-van. So I would say they are cool. And if through the blog you find out the majority of people think they are not cool.... well then at least you are cooler than me... :-)

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I'm a "cool mom" since I drive a Jeep. :) But cool-ness aside, there's not much room for passengers. I'm sure we can fit one more carseat in the back seat but then we'll probably have to upgrade to a minivan. I just love the reassurance of 4-wheel-drive.

Katie said...

Mini vans are the bomb. I have owned big suv's and little cars and vans. For kids you can't beat them. The Mom inside is what makes it cool or not! So what are you...cool or not?????

Katie said...

Kates message was posted by Leon. Kate has not owned an suv or van.

Adam and Rachel Family said...

I'll be your friend no matter what you drive Sadie! You will always be "cool" in my book. Minivan or no minivan. We have a Pilot now but as soon as we have more than 2 kids, we will probably go to a minivan much to Adam's chagrin.

Ana Lee said...

Kory keeps trying to convince me. I'm with you, it's hard to think about going that direction at first...

Michelle said...

Okay, I'm a minivan owner, and I only have 2 kids, but we plan on having more some day.:o) Truth? THey're sooo convenient! I love the space, and the ease of getting in and out (rather getting the kids in and out:o)) So, maybe I"m a nerd, but I don't care because I LOVE it!

Dwayne said...

We've been driving mini-vans for over ten years, and they're great. After the kids move out of the house, we'll get something smaller, more expensive and less practical. ... I also figured out that if you remove all of the seats from the back of the van, it's like having a pick-up with a shell. Very handy.

Nickel said...

We've had our van for a year now and I love it, except that Preston wants to sit in the back seat so I have to climb in to buckel him up.

Anyway, I noticed that you have one of my friends blogs linked off to the right, A Thrifty Mom. How did you stumble across her blog in NJ?

Love reading your blog!
Donell

mamabear said...

I was NOT going to get a minivan. No way was I going to fall into that mold. Then we bought one. I loved it!!!!!!!!! I had to convince myself once the kids were gone that I didn't need it any more.

Amy said...

We have ALWAYS had a minivan planned somewhere in our future. Convenience=cool.

Christine said...

I say go for the station wagon with the reverse seat in the back...now THAT'S cool!!! :)

Mystial Batwoman said...

Oh I've gone through this delima many times in my head. To tell you the truth I love our Landrover but it's not ideal for the car seats. I really think we may get a minivan next time around. Gas mileage is better and more room for those long trips! Just get a cool color with a nice roof rack for bikes, kayaks and etc. Can't go wrong with that right?! This would be a good blog idea for nature for kids!

Charis said...

quite frankly i would love a honda pilot. . . it is the only suv that I would ever consider owning. . . mostly I think suv's are trendy, expensive, suck gas, and so we didn't get one. . . on the other hand i was not a huge fan of the mini van idea. . . however we got a honda odyssey and i absolutely love it! no complaints. . . and it is great for vacationing, and great when we have friends. . . we can all go in the same car.

Charis said...

there are cool mini vans. . . dodge caravan is not one of them. . . just steer away from the uncool ones and you will be good. . . honda odyssey, toyota sierra, and the quest all seem pretty cool to me. . . and they have high ratings, but they tend to be more expensive. . . but i would contend that with cars you get what you pay for. . . so you buy a cheap minivan you get a cheap minivan that needs to be fixed all the time. . . i don't know, just go cool.

Freemans said...

Mini vans are cool! Of course I have always thought they were. Especially now a days with two sliding doors, one on each side, so the kids can get themselves in and I can throw the baby in all at the same time! And (if you like dodge) the extra space in the stow-n-go (if you choose that model)!
And yes, I own one too!!! They are awesome!

JTCheneyClan said...

Can't beat em....so you should join em.....I'll sell you ours.

Phil said...

I've seen some pretty cool minivans lately. I wouldn't mind a Honda minivan, but it'll be a cold day in... well, it's very very unlikely that I'll ever buy a Dodge or Ford minivan. I'd buy a GMC, though. I like the GMC Safari - Looks like a Chevy Astro, but it's built better. Or so they say. Anyway, my parents had one, and I liked it. I think I liked it because it was a small truck made into a van, instead of a big car like most of the others. Hope you enjoyed my rambling...