4.30.2009

Wasp

Scott and I agree on most things in life, but there is one thing we have always disagreed on, and after today, I'm afraid it will become even more of a problem.

When there is a spider or a bee or some kind of bug in the house we have different approaches. I find the biggest shoe that has the flattest tread (you see if the tread is too deep them the thing can get away, or worse get on you and bit/sting/or otherwise harm)you. Scott however, looks for a cup or a Tupperware to catch the bug/spider/bee and take it outside to return it to the beautiful world in which we live.

Today, there was a wasp in our house. For some dumb reason I thought instead of squishing it, I should "save" it. Dumb, dumb, dumb idea.

I grabbed a Tupperware and the lid. Do a little catch and release... I thought. It was flying around in the window in our room (which is huge, like five feet by 15 feet). Catching it was pretty easy. I just covered it with the tuppy while standing on the couch. Then it got tricky. I didn't have the guts to try and put the lid on. Scott usually has a piece of paper that is flat so you just slide it over the top. The pesky thing wouldn't fly into the container, it kept trying to find a way out.

I stood there on the couch, with my Tupperware and the wasp with no apparent way to end this ordeal. For 10 minutes! I was too scared to try and uncover it and squish it. By this time he was attaching the Tupperware with his poky tail. He was hitting it so hard I could hear it tap. Yikes!

I started to wonder how long I would be there. I realized I needed help. I needed a piece of paper, or someone with more courage than I had. I resorted to my two-year-old. I had nowhere else to turn to. He was in his room taking a nap. Which must have been a pretty good one because no matter how much I yelled, he didn't come.

I started wondering if my landlords would be back soon. I heard a diesel coming up the road and hoped it was them. Nope. UPS man... and then he stopped. He had a package for us!!! He could be my hero and save the day. I don't know how this is possible, but he came up, set the package down, and didn't even see me standing there in the window looking like a fool. I was too embarrassed to yell at him through the window to direct him to the back door (because the front was locked) so he could help me. I watched as he walked away and then it started.

My heart started racing, I started thinking I would be there for the rest of my life. I think it was some kind of mini-panic attack. I got resourceful. I thought maybe if I tap the Tupperware really quickly on the window I could get him to fly back in so I could put the lid on. I didn't work. Instead he got half way out and was stuck as I pushed the Tupperware against the window again. I didn't waste any time. I finished the job. I didn't like doing it, but it had to be done. My baby was crying, I was practically crying. This episode had to come to and end.

And now, I'm here to tell you that unless you are trained in the art of "catch and release" debugging... just squish it.

6 comments:

Amie said...

That is very wise. I am with you....I see no point in saving those darn bugs...unless it is a ladybug or a butterfly.....I find that my size eleven shoes come in very handy for this particular job.....especially wasps....I have never encountered a nice wasp. I am sorry though that you had to do this job all on your own. I wonder if the UPS guy saw you ....maybe he thought you were a manikin....or some crazy lady trying to climb up your window?

Amy said...

I hate wasps; they always look so mean and evil. I have to tell you I'm impressed that you kill bugs. I'm so terrified of spiders and wasps that I have resorted to calling the neighbors (when Mike isn't home) to come do my killing for me.

Charis said...

YEAH! You killed it! Way to be brave, I would have just ran and grabbed my kids and headed out the door, stay away far away! I don't like wasps. . . spiders I can handle, I just squish them, flying things I don't like. Once when I was baby sitting my neighbors, and hummingbird came in. . . a harmless humming bird, and I ran for it, got my brother from down the street to take care of the problem. . . flying things do not belong in my house.

Ana Lee said...

hahaha I laughed SOOOO hard reading this. I would do the same thing. Stings hurt! I remember on the farm how brave Brett was around those bees. I'm scared of those any little suckers, both bees and wasps. I'm glad you were able to kill before it got you! :)

Arritt said...

I just wanted to say that that sounds like something that would've happened to me. Thanks for sharing- I love your stories!

Anonymous said...

you always make me laugh....I love that you were going flag down the UPS man to help you. You are so silly.