6.25.2011

I choose this!

I was reading this article the other day and came across this quote...

For young Mormon women, who face immense cultural pressure to stay home with children rather than pursue a career, blogging about their adventures in homemaking becomes a sort of creative outlet, a way of contributing to the larger world beyond the home.
-Emily Henderson

I started thinking about why I stay home with my kids. Do I do it because I feel like others will look down on me if I don't? Do I do it because I don' want a "real" job? Do I do it because I feel pressure to do it?

While I don't debate the idea that there is a lot of "cultural pressure" to be a stay-at-home mom, I have to say "pressure" isn't the reason I choose it.

I choose to be home with my kids because when I have thought about all the other things I could do (and I think about things a lot) I always come back to the fact that my kids need me.

They need me to make them breakfast. They need me to take them to swimming lessons. They need me to help them get bathed and dressed. They need me to read books to them. They need me to teach them to eat healthy things. They need me to teach them to be kind. They need me to give them some consistency in their lives.

While I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are a better mother than I am, I can't get over the fact that these kids have been entrusted to ME. I'm their mommy. I have a love for them that no one else could duplicate. I can't even duplicate it for other people's kids (though I feel a little embarrassed to admit that).

Really, when I think deeply about it, I realize I need them. They teach me things I would struggle to learn without them. I learn things that help me to be more like my Savior Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

Charis said...

My kids need me...not my neighbor, not my mom, not the day care teacher, they need me...they need to know that they are worth me staying home. That I have the faith that God will take cs e of my family when I follow God's commandments. I think I feel more social pressure to go out and get a job.... I love being home with my girls, sometimes I think I am mostly selfish, it is a lot of work being a mommy, but no one can be as good of a mommy to my girls as I can. And no one can be as good of a mommy to your kids as you can, and that is why God has entrusted them to you. Never forget that Fid knows what he is doing.it is great that we can stay home with our kids. I an glad we can both count our blessings that we have married amazing men who support us in our decisions to be amazing mommies, and that we have husbands, because if we didn't we would have to work too. We are both very lucky gals, and our kids a
Are lucky kids. And th were is my two cents. ;)

Kristin and Jay said...

Lovely post! I completely agree with it all! I am glad to see you posting again!

Jill said...

Amen!

Smith's said...

Very well said. I agree with you 100% even if I am not quite there yet. I dream of the days of spending all my time at home with my precious son (and any more I may be blessed with)It is a goal worth working for. I feel guilty every day I have to leave my Little Man behind. Some working women think stay at home moms sit at home doing nothing all day, but the time spent with their children is more precious than anything else. Good for you for being in a position that allows you to stay at home with your kids, I hope to be there sooner than later!

Anonymous said...

amen.