I have been reading this book called "The Essential 55". It is written by Ron Clark, this guy who won some award for being the best teacher in the United States, or something like that. It is a quick read and pretty interesting.
One of the "Essentials" he talks about is surprising someone at least once a month. He uses an example of having a five course meal prepared with flowers on the table and nice music playing in the background in a classroom for the janitor.
This got me thinking about surprises. I think one of the funnest surprises for me was when I was in college and it was my birthday. I had been at my sister's house babysitting her kids and doing my laundry. I got home and my roommates told me I needed to go to the basement. I can't remember the excuse they gave me, but I was completely clueless. As I walked into the basement I was totally confused to notice all these people I knew. Not only that, but they all seemed to be looking at me. It took a while for the light to go on in my head what was happening. We sang, had cake, and all that jazz, but I have to say the initial surprise that others were thinking of me was the best part of the night.
What have been some of your best surprises, and what is your theory of why we (generally) like them? Of course, this is taking into account I am not talking about the surprise of something like, your tire is flat or anything like that. Why do we get all warm an fuzzy with a nice surprise every once in a while?
4 comments:
I like that idea. I don't think people in this world get enough happy surpises! Oh by the way, I like to go to your blog multiple time just to watch the number change. I think it is fun! So I am a big fan of the counter on your blog!
Surprises make us happy because it shows someone loves us enough to do something nice for us....there's nothing nicer than that.
I have been thinking about it some more. I think it has somthing to do with the endorphins and stuff like that too. When we were working with at-risk-boys, some of them were cutters. Why did you cut? Therapists said it was becuase it felt good to them becuase of the endorphins released when they did it. Now I know surprises and cutting your arm with a sharp object are not the same thing, but I wonder if there is a relatioship with the endocrine system and surprises. Sorry Lacey, I think I just took away all the fuzziness. I like your answer, it deosn't involve blood.
just so you know i was the 111 hit on your blog, I felt special!
Post a Comment