My entire life, back to as young as I can remember I have been afraid of spiders. I blame it mostly on my sissy sister (she's not really a sissy, she had four babies without an epidural) because she would always make me go down in the root cellar to get bottle food because she was too afraid of the spiders.
Over the years I have wondered how much I really am afraid of spiders. Mostly, I thought I kept up the attitude I was afraid to give my darling husband a way to protect me. It was fun to let him take the lead on taking care of any of our eight legged, not so much friends.
Well, last night I learned that my fear of spiders is alive and well. As I was sitting on the futon in the spare bedroom feeding Nathan at 3:30 in the morning, I noticed a big bug crawling around on the floor. I thought it could be a spider, but the lights were down low so I wasn't sure. Once I got done feeding Nate I decided I could handle this guy. As I got close, I realized that it was a big hairy spider. I thought, "I'll be a toughy and kill this thing". I tried, but thankfully he got away. I was a little freaked out that I didn't know where he was so I told Scott when I went back to bed that he would have to get Nate if he started to cry.
Not too long later Nate needed help so Scott got up to take care of him. I could see into the hallway from my bed and I kept an eye out for that big nasty thing. He came out! I yelled to Scott and he grabbed a shoe to squish it. I came closer to make sure he killed it real good. He nailed with the shoe, and then the thing EXPLODED into millions of baby spiders. At this point, I gracefully sprinted back to my bed, jumped in, curled into the fetal position and began bawling my eyes out.
It was more than an hour later before I was able to calm down enough to go back to sleep. Before I got out of bed this morning Scott swept up the spider carcases (he killed all the babies he could), threw away the broom, used pine sol and a sponge the clean up the floor, threw away the sponge, and took out the garbage.
So I figure out that it was a wolf spider and they are unique in that they carry their young on their abdomen. NASTY!!! I think I can recover with time and lots of therapy.
Here is a picture so you can see how hideous this thing is. I hate spiders.
6 comments:
Whoa, that's crazy! And pretty traumatizing. I'm glad you're allright.
oh sadie you never change. I'll never forget the time you thought you saw a spicer in your room, and jumped up on your bed and started crying. I think carina handled the situation....can't really blame you about not liking the nasty things though. I feel the same way about cockroaches and moths.
You need to read my new post...it's going to blow your mind
I would have done the same thing...or worse! I'm impressed that you even attempted to kill the beast.
Scott, what a hero!
Wow Sadie! Tory's wife, Mariann was telling me about the same spider, but down in St. George. NASTY!! I would have totally freaked, since I freak out about the tiny ones you can hardly see!
Post a Comment