One of my favorite things to do when I have a little spare time is to read my old journal entries. Usually it is just entertaining, especially when I read the ones form junior high and high school, but today it was more than that. Today I recognized how much the Lord has blessed us in the decisions we have made in the last three years.
I was reading from my entry I wrote about three years ago. We were living in New Jersey and Scott was working as an actuary. He had only been there for a few months before he realized that this was not the career for him. However, he decided that he was going to stick with it for a few years to prove to himself that he could do hard things.
While he was toughing it out, I was looking for a better option for us. I did lots of research. I checked out other companies that might be a better fit for us and I also started looking at graduate school options. We didn't even know what Scott would want to get his graduate degree in, but we started researching different schools and programs. We also wanted to buy a home, so that was factored into the equation too.
We researched, interviewed people, made lots of phone calls, made spreadsheets, looked at housing markets, talked to more people, made up mock budgets... just about everything you can do without actually DOING anything. It was all theoretical.
These were all the things we were doing two to three years ago. There wasn't a clear path that was obvious for us. However, today, looking back... I can see the guidance we received that has put us where we are now. The path had always been there, we just had to find it.
I by no means think we have arrived, I only know that we can be guided gently to where we need to be if we will be humble enough to trust that the Lord knows better than we do the path we should take.
I think it is not only good practice to make decision that have such a great impact on our lives, but it is also an adventure.
2 comments:
I'm so impressed you keep a journal! Looks like there's lots going on for you family... CO is beautiful! Exciting times!
What you said reminded me of a quote I read a couple days ago...
"Often the most difficult times of our lives are essential building blocks that form the foundation of our character and pave the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness." ~ Elder Uchtdorf
You are amazing. I need to keep a journal! I am so bad at that. I miss you! Can't wait to see you at the reunion. Love ya!
Post a Comment