3.28.2008

He's got skills

My son is learning some new and exciting things these days. Like how to hit. How to pull all of the cushions off the couch. How to scream when he doesn't get his way.

I can't say I like all this one bit. He is at such a "copy cat" stage that anything he sees once he does all the time.

I am pretty sure the hitting came about after he had a Kong Fu (I don't know how to spell that) lesson from one of the boys in the ward. While its a cute idea, it hurts my face. The kid keeps telling me I need to enlist Jeff in a Karate class... no way.

The couch cushion incident came about because Scott built Jeff a fort and now everyday is a fort day. I really don't mind this one as much, it is just a kid being kid.

The screaming. Oh, the screaming. It is more like a high pitched grunt. If you were here, I would demonstrate, but since you aren't and I have no idea how I would put an audio clip on the blog, you will just have to imagine. This one came from a little girl in our ward who is just three months older than Jeff. She is a sweet little girl, until Jeff comes around and then she feels it her duty to be the alpha female.

So, now that my son has these really cool talents... I'm wondering what to do. How do I teach him not to hit? How do I teach him not to scream? And how do I teach him that the couch makes a great fort... every once in a while but not every single morning?

So, I am soliciting your parenting advice. I can't guarantee that I will use it all. But feel free to tell me what has and hasn't worked for you.

Oh and just so you know, my boy really is a gem. He gives the best kisses and loves to sing himself to sleep. He never stays out past his curfew and uses clean language that I still can't understand. He has begun to say "Day doo" and "Dah doo" which are obviously "thank you" and "love you". So, all things said, I think we will still keep him. We just need to tweak a few things.

No comments: