So, I'm totally a planner. I like to plan out the next ten years of my life, and more. I don't know why. I just do. So, I've been thinking a lot about preschool for Jeff. I know he's only two, but he's going to be three in July and that means that he only has two year more until he starts kindergarten (which totally blows my mind, for the record).
I've heard lots of debate and differing opinions on weather kids should go to preschool or not. I'm still not sure how I feel about the issue.
I'd like to get more information. Do you think preschool is necessary or not? And why to you think the way you do?
I never went to preschool, though I did go to kindergarten twice. I think I turned out okay, but then, I think most eccentric people think they are normal too. I say this like I'm not eccentric, but maybe I am, I'm just in denial... sorry. So, what do you think? Preschool or no?
11 comments:
In Houston, kindergarten is all day. It seems like most people around here opt for preschool so their kids have school experience before jumping into full day kindergarten. It is also good for them socially...so I hear. I, however, have also heard it can be quite expensive and kind of feel like the money may be better spent in the bank accruing interest to pay for college education instead. I'm hoping I can do a joy school with other mothers in the neighborhood so my kids get the training and social experience without the cost! Lots of moms do it for a break from the kids for a while as well and don't like joy school because every-once-in-a-while you have to be the one teaching the kids at your house. I think it'd be fun, but I haven't done either yet with my kids so who knows. (For the record, I did joy school as a kid as well...but Kindergarten in Utah was only half-day).
Sadie, I don't think preschool is "necessary" but I do think it can be beneficial. I think that since you know Jeff best, you will know if he should go. Karter LOVES preschool and I do think that it's helping him prepare for full day kindergarten (which is what we have in WY). He will start Kindergarten this September- which blows my mind too! I think Karter has benefited by being in a classroom setting with teachers and other kids and he really enjoys it, but educationally I don't think he's learned anything new he hadn't learned at home. So anyway, I hope that helps you a little- we give preschool a thumbs up.
I think it is good because then he will go into kindergarten already knowing things. It will give him more confidence.
I am in the same boat! I for sure don't think Logan needs two years of pre school but I think I will be putting him in for one year right before kindergarten. I just want him to understand school a little and be ready for structure. I have also talked to alot of pre-school teachers lately and they all say anything they learn at preschool they can learn at home but the social part is really good for them. I also hate the idea of full day kindergarten, when I taught first graders the full day was long enough for them. :) that has nothing to do with pre-school though. :) Jeff is a smarty and you are his mom so in the end you are the one who will know what he needs! However I am with you on this one and it stresses me out for sure!!
If anyone asks me anything about school I always refer them to the book "A Thomas Jefferson Education for the Twenty-First Century" by Oliver Van DeMille. It's a must read for any parent in my book.
I never went to preschool myself either. I put Cru in preschool but only for like 3 months. When I took him out I began stucturing our days a bit more at home.I haven't put Corbin in preschool and he starts kindergarten this fall. I don't think I'll do it for Ava either. My thought is I spend enough time doing educational stuff with them and we get out of the house and learn lots of other things together. Socially they do great because of nursery and primary on sundays and playdates with friends. Plus I don't like forking out $60 a month when I'm pretty capable to do it on my own. :)
Definitely NOT. I don't intend to send my children to any form of public schooling any earlier than age 12. Perhaps I'm eccentric, perhaps I'm over-protective, but I just don't see much good coming from that public school garbage.
I teach preschool. I see kids that come into preschool that have never been around other kids and they have a hard time adjusting. I think that preschool is more about gaining social skills then actually learning things.
I'm with Sandee. From what I have seen, the society available at public schools (at least in Elementary Schools) is driven by the television. Many parents don't take the time to teach their kids anything, much less how to treat others with respect. So the only behavior many of these children know is what they've learned from television. I'd rather give my kids a chance to learn how to be respectful of others, and how to make their own decisions, and THEN let them go to public school, if they want to.
I think the two reasons for putting kids into preschool are to teach them the basics and to give them a chance to play with other kids.
I've chosen not to put my kids into preschool because I can teach them the basics and more (like morals and values). No need to waste the money when I can easily give my kids one-on-one time, which they won't get in a preschool. (As a side note, my kids LOVE our school that I put on every day. They really soak up the personal time with mom and it is amazing how quickly they can learn and how much they want to learn.)
In regards to their social life, I just make sure my kids have opportunities to interact with other kids their own age. They go to primary and we go to playgroup. I prefer this to preschool because I know the other moms and I know their standards and what they are teaching their children. You're never sure what kind of backgrounds the other kids come from when you put your kids into a preschool.
I do preschool with my boys instead of sending them away to do it. I figure I at least know my colors and other simple things enough to teach them (the rest I will leave to the professionals). I have been teaching Taylor and granted I am horrible at doing it consistently, but he has learned all he needs to for kindergarten next year plus more. So something is working. The only reason I might send my kids away for it is if they will refuse to let me teach them, but so far so good, as long as it isn't too long at one time.
Post a Comment