I know, I know... I already wrote about the gym. But this is something I have to get off my chest.
I have this thing when I go to the gym. I like to think of myself as a confident fit girl. But lets be honest... I am anything but fit right now which naturally makes me a little self conscience (as I believe most women are). The thing that makes me even more self conscious is all the skinny women at the gym. People, where are all the not-so-fit-and-attractive looking folks? I think I saw one fat guy at the gym the entire time I was there today. I mean honestly, can't fat people work out too?
The next thing that makes me a little self conscious is that I don't really know what I'm doing. I actually have to read the instructions on a lot of the machines. I try to make it look like I'm not. Sometimes I scope out the room to make sure no one else is watching before I look at the little diagrams and stuff. I don't know why, but I want people to think I am totally knowledgeable on the whole working out thing. I really don't even know what kinds of exercising I should be doing to reach my goals. Heck, I don't even really know what my goals are. All I know is that I love going to the gym everyday (for the past two days). It just feels good, even though I don't fit in.
So, where I don't know so much... anybody want to share the secrets to fitness and skinniness and getting into the "in" crowd at the gym. (Just joking on that last part). Once they see my mad yogalaties skills tomorrow morning, I'm bound to have all kinds of people want to be my friend. By the way, what are yogalaties?
7 comments:
That's why I belong to a gym that normal people go to. I hate the "body shops". I can assure you that most of them don't know what they are doing either on those machines, so don't watch them. Keep reading the instructions. You go girl!!!!!!!
I totally read instructions all of the time and I've been going to the gym since High School. Don't worry about it. No one is looking at you, everyone is too concerned about how they look themselves haha.
Try playing around on this site. I always find really good things on it.
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/default.htm
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness
I agree with Ana Lee - the other people at the gym are too busy looking at themselves in the mirror to watch anyone else. Also, if you stick with it, you'll get used to using the equipment. We just bought an elliptical machine (I'm sure you're shocked to learn that Lind doesn't have a gym), and the first few times I used it, I felt uncoordinated and dorky. (Thankfully, I was alone and in my own house.) But now, after using it for a while, I've gotten the hang of it, and I'd even be willing to use it in public. So hang in there. You're an inspiration to us all!
get on the "body for life" program, re-read the fitness and follow it exactly, and you will loose weight. Even if you aren't doing all the weightlifting, just follow the training. It's how I lost all my weight after Gage and got down to 15% BODY FAT. Good luck girl!
Which is exactly why I DON'T go to the gym!
First of all, I am honored to again be mentioned on this popular blog. :)
Second of all, if I looked like I work out as much as I do, I'd be a supermodel. Maybe someday it'll all kick in! haha
Third of all, you really need to request a FREE demonstration with a trainer. They should give you a rundown on each machine and how it works. First of all so that you don't break your face trying to figure it out while nobody's looking, and second of all so that they don't get sued when you're doing that! haha It's totally normal for them to do it, and I've never gone to a gym that doesn't offer it.
They may try and charge you for a "personal training" but that's not what you want. You simply want a "refresher" because OF COURSE you know what you're doing, you just want to see how THEIR machines work; since they're all different. (that's the line I always use!) Lol.
Kudos to you girl! I have my 6 week apt. tomorrow....so WEDNESDAY it's back to the gym WOOHOO!!!!!
HEY! I've been out of the loop for awhile now since we haven't had the internet, so I back tracked through some of your posts... I LOVE this! I know that you posted this awhile ago, so I hope you've still kept going to the gym and you feel a little more comfortable now, but EVERYONE feels intimidated by the gym at first. I get people all the time, even seasoned gym goers, that insist on standing in the back of the room at my aerobics class. Nobody wants to be noticed. But in reality, when ANYBODY shows up at the gym (fat or skinny, attractive or unattractive, coordinated or uncoordinated) it's just exciting to see all kinds of people united in the cause to become healthy and fit, whatever the level is...That's what a gym is (or should be)! It annoys me that so many people judge health by "skinny" or "not skinny" because in all honesty that is such a false persona. I know many toothpick skinny people that are very far from the epitome of health. I LOVE, love, LoVe that you are going to the gym everyday and learning how to use the machines. I assure you that just your presence at a gym makes you appear confident and happy. Anyone that has made a decision to do something good for themselves can't help but look that way. ;) I am cheering you on! PumP it UP, sista! By the way, I ran a 5K race this morning and thought about you...I officially made the decision today to train for a half-marathon! Isn't the race you are signed up for a half-marathon or something like it? How's the training going?
Post a Comment