


Saturday night Scott and I went to our first Texas A&M football game. If you have never been to one of these, it is an experience!
We got there late (ten minutes before kickoff) so we missed some of the festivities. They actually start getting the crowd ready with lots of activities an hour before the game starts.
We got there just in time to sing the "Star Spangled Banner" and "Oh Texas." I've got to learn the words to "Oh Texas" before we go to the next game. They also sing the "Aggie Fight Song" which everyone knows and sings as loud as they can. The words consist of claiming that Aggies are the only true Texans and that T.U. (aka, University of Texas) is going to have it's mascot's horns sawed off. I've got to learn that one too. The best part about the fight song is that at one point the entire crowd (thousands of people, seriously) put arm around shoulder and sway back and forth singing the song. I stood next to the most die hard Texas A&M grandma who was not bashful about making sure I was loyal to the Aggies.
During half-time the Cadet Marching Band performed and they have all kinds of cool formations. Absolutely amazing!!! I almost cried... really. I know, I'm lame.
There are all kinds of yells, woops, and hand gestures that you have to do at certain times. If the refs do something you don't, you put your hands together and hiss. It all seems pretty crazy, but don't ever mention that to an Aggie fan, they are the most loyal I have ever seen.
We had a few Utah State friends sitting by us, at one point they were cheering and I seriously thought they might take 'em out back and string 'em up to a tree. They take their football very seriously.
All in all, it was a great night. Our Aggies didn't play too well, but you would never know that by the support of the crowd. In the end, Texas A&M only be Utah State by like eight points. At least they beat them so I still have something over my little brother (who is starting at Utah State next semester).
5 comments:
P.S. If you click on the picture, you get to see the whole thing. :)
There's no shame in crying over a great marching band. It's my favorite part of the game! I'm glad you had fun.
Ha! SO FUN!
I miss going to college foot ball and actually being a student. . . but I do get to go to a U of U game this weekend. Quite frankly, i was disappointed with the way any utah team played on saturday. . . but Utah State did seam to play pretty well and i was proud of them, and how they held up to Texas A&M. Quite frankly learning the texas song seams kind of sacriligious to me. . . how dare any state (or any part for the matter) think is as great (or greater) than the whole. . . texans. . . . .good grief
way cute hair...sounds like your having fun experience Texas pride first hand :)...fyi...shared some comments below regarding your "say no" situation. Good luck! K
Post a Comment