9.24.2009

What do you have under your driver's seat?

I decided to clean out the van after a week of it becoming the catch-all. What did I find? Here's a list to entertain ya...

sippy cup with stale water
balloon
pieces of sticker all over the place
plastic fire engine tires
small nails
sippy cup with now yogurtfied milk
measuring tape
stuffed animal
coupons
shoes
watch (been missing that one for a week)
boards for decorating
sewing machine
diapers and wipes in a grocery sack
long lost diaper bag
pistol (aka, a gun... aka, a killing device...)

Yikes! WHAT!?! Scott and I don't own a gun. We don't even have fake toy not real gun. I'm terrified of guns. I looked again... yep, still a gun under my seat.

We just bought our van from a guy in Utah and apparently he forgot a little something when he cleaned it out to sell it. Apparently the guys at Toyota didn't notice it either when they shampooed the carpets. Apparently we didn't notice it when we became VERY familiar with our van as we traveled for a week from Utah to Texas. Apparently Scott didn't see it as he stuffed our shoes into every crevice of our van that wasn't occupied by kids. Apparently... okay, I'll stop. :)

I didn't touch it. I didn't even want to look at it all that much. I hate guns, unless my older brother or my dad is there to make sure I don't accidentally point it at myself. I know, I'm an adult... but I still don't trust myself.

I called my dad as soon as I could to see what I should do. Thankfully he's coming to visit in a week so he can take it out of my minivan and find it a new home that won't make me cringe every time I hit the breaks. So glad he's coming.

I know Scott and I could probably get it out of the car and into the house, but I think the only thing more scary than a gun in my van is a gun in my bedroom.

So, clean out your car. you might be surprised what's waiting for you under the driver's seat.

10 comments:

mamabear said...

oh Sadie, I was thinking you had actually found the sewing machine under the seat. My first thought was that you could share your finds with the neighbor, until you got to the gun.... So thankful for Dads that continue to take care of us even as adults.

Anonymous said...

you live in the hood and dont own a gun?!!!

Kristin and Jay said...

Sadie, you and you cars make the best stories. I love reading your blog.

Steph Thomas said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I BET YOU ARE STILL JUST FREAKING OUT!!! I WOULD BE SCARED TO DEATH ALSO. THANK GOODNESS FOR YOUR DAD!!

Amy said...

This is a crazy story. I'm absolutely terrified of guns as well, so I can totally sympathize with you. WOW!

Amie said...

Matt has been bugging me to get a hand gun....I feel more comfortable with my rifle then I do a hand gun.....Anyway it would be Christmas for him if he had that experience. But you have to remember that you do live in Texas now...the home of cowboy hats and hand guns....You could keep the gun and have it become part of your secret identity. Soccer mom by day and ruthless crime fighter by night.:)

Matt Berry said...

Here is a thought for you with keeping the gun in your car.....what happens when you get pulled over by the police and for some strange reason they want to search your car and find a gun.

Justin Day said...

wow talk about fully loaded. i wish i had that experience when i bought my car. you should just call the guy you bought the car from and see what the story is. However, if i were in your place i would probably start singing happy birthday to myself.

Justin Day said...

by the way guns dont kill people, people kill people. they dont bite.

Charis said...

I am sitting here reading your blog thinking, my car beats your car. . . and then. . . bam. . . a gun!!!! what!?! a gun!?! make sure it isn't a murder weapon that someone hid there. . . I would call the cops and have them come get it! you win. . . like always you win. . . you have the greatest stories. . . your story about throwing away a computer from your car still makes me laugh. . . this one will probalby make me cringe for a long while. . . i don't like guns. . . guns are used for one thing and one thing only, to kill. . . call the cops :)