Today I asked Jeff what the next baby in our family should be. (This is not an announcement). I asked if it should be a brother or a sister. He said, "sister"... and then I asked him what he wanted to name her. He said, "Mom". :)
I just love the fact that my little boy likes me enough to want to name is sister after me. :) I hope that this mom-liking will continue for a very long time. However, this leads me to mention a concern I've had.
It's just natural that boys don't really bond... with much of anyone it seems. Girls bond. They BOND! Girls have kindred spirits, and bosom buddies, and people they open up their hopes and dreams to.... and boys... play sports. At least, as far as I can tell, that's how they bond. Either sports or video games. I think they call it male bonding.
Okay, now back to the concern. How will I have an open, strong, healthy relationship with my sons as they get older? I realize it wont be like a mother/daughter relationship, but I still want to be really close to them... especially if I am blessed with all boys. (However, Scott said if the next one is a boy we'll trade him out for a girl with a family who has all girls. He is dying for a girl.)
So, is there hope for me? Is it at all possible I'll have a son who will come home from school and tell me all about his day and what makes him happy, and which girls he likes, and how he is going to ask someone out for Prom?
4 comments:
i know lots of guys who are really close to their moms. I think if you always make an effort to talk to them or play sports with them, they'll stay close to you. I'm sure you're boys will include you in their lives...at least until they find the one they want to marry. Then they might start pushing you away;
Depends on the boy. It is definitely different than the girl bond. But it is a very strong bond and I'm sure you have one already!!!
I agree with Jill--you being able to play sports should be fun for the boys. That's a "love language" i'm sure!
I think open communication is a big key. Also, encourage, but don't force the closeness. If they want it, your encouragement will give them nudge they need to really fill out your relationship. If they are not ready, your pushing will keep they farther, longer.
PS. All of these thoughts come from reflecting on how Mitch was/is.
Last thing: a close relationship between siblings will really help as well. Being close to family members always helps a person enjoy being at home as much as being with friends. If they are home more, and you are, you'll be close! Have fun!
Post a Comment