2.27.2009

The dumbest thing I've ever done... to this point.

About three weeks ago...
Mike, a friend from church, asked if I would take a computer for him. He had been working on it for another friend in the ward, Blanca, and we live close to them. So it made sense that we take it and save him an hour-long trip to deliver it. I was busy trying to keep my boys from terrorizing the church so I just gave him my car keys and he put the computer in our trunk. I promptly forgot about the whole thing.

About two weeks ago...
I was cleaning out the trunk of our car. Whenever I clean the house, I take all the things we are getting rid of and put it in the trunk so we can deliver it to someone who would like to have it. We don't have DI (a thrift store that I love) here, so I don't have a quick and easy drop off point. I have to find someone who wants my stuff... or throw it away.

Scott was getting a little tired of having things fall out of our trunk whenever he opened it and was begging me to find homes for the stuff. I decided since I hadn't found homes yet, I would just start throwing stuff away. There were some toys (which had already been through at least two families) that I chucked. The bags of clothes I kept, because I knew on Sunday my friend would take them for me. Then I came across our old computer. These were my thoughts: "Huh, I thought we already got rid of this. I guess it must have only made it this far. No worry, I'll just throw it out." At about this point my landlord came out and offered to take it to the dump for me. "Great!" I thought, Scott is going to be so proud of me for finally getting rid of all of this stuff."

About five days ago...
My friend Blanca called me and asked if she could come pick up her computer. I told her I didn't know where it was. I hadn't seen it in the car and wasn't sure what happened to it. I called Mike and asked him where he had put it and what it looked like. He started to describe it (I don't know why I needed a description) and things started clicking in my mind. It took a full hour for me to figure out that I had sent my friend's computer to the dump.

I think I went through all the phases people go through when they lose a loved one. It finally ended with a gnawing stomach ache and a gut wrenching phone call, followed by more stomach pains. As it turns out, this computer had many many family pictures on it. It still hurts me to think about it.

My friend Ruth, who I vented and cried to about this whole episode, helped me to see some good in this. She said, "two good qualities that you have just worked against each other." So I guess its good that I tried to help Balnca and Mike... and I guess its good that I tried to keep my car clean... I just have to make sure that the combination doesn't get me into trouble next time.

And that... is the dumbest thing I have ever done... to this point in my life.

8 comments:

Charis said...

I didn't laugh, I almost cried with you! Sorry

Olinselot said...

Sorry I laughed! That is SO funny, I'm sure it wasn't at the time, but oh man Sadie...that so bad. I would have puked for a week I'm sure. That is so crazy, how did your friend handle it? Was she sweet to you? I hope so. That would make me really sad if she was mean, it was a completely honest mistake. Thanks for sharing...it is pretty funny though.

Jess said...

Oh Sadie....I am sorry! Things can only go up from here! ;)

Michelle said...

Oh, how sad!! I'm so sorry Sadie. But, if that's honestly the dumbest thing you've ever done, I still think you're in good shape!:o)

sherrie bebe said...

Please tell me you tried to contact the dump at least and see if it was still intact! I think I would totally die! I've done some things just as bad, but luckily they turn out ok...maybe this will somehow too. Why did it take two weeks for the girl to try and find her computer anyway??

For future notice: computers should no go to dumps (my husband just informed me). They are harmful for the environment. We're not sure where they go because my husband sells his on Craigs list when they stop working. So next time, try selling it and then at least in the end you'll have made a profit off your mistake (that can go towards buying a new computer for your friend!)

Ana Lee said...

That is horrible. I am so sorry that happened. I can't even imagine what I would do.

Kate Fowles said...

I honestly think that if that is the dumbest thing you have ever done your life so far, you are golden!! :D

Anonymous said...

so sorry that happened. I probably would have puked from being so upset. Don't worry in time you'll be able to laugh over it. that may be ten years from now...but you'll be able to laugh over it.